Welcome back to the Christmas series. Though cream cheese frosting is not limited to Christmas, I will be featuring a gluten-free protein carrot cake on my dessert table this year.
Hence the keto sugar-free cream cheese frosting. This keto cream cheese frosting pairs well with cakes and quick breads such as carob chip banana bread, zucchini squash bread, and keto cinnamon bread.
Is Regular Cream Cheese Frosting Keto?
Unfortunately, traditional cream cheese is not keto largely because it is made with large quantities of sugar, which is not in agreement with the keto diet. Luckily there are sugar-free alternatives that allow us to enjoy keto versions of many desserts.
How Do You Decrease The Sweetness Of Cream Cheese Frosting?
Sometimes, we make the mistake of adding too much sugar to cream cheese frosting. Luckily you can cut the sweetness of cream cheese with a pinch of salt.
Make sure you use finely ground salt as it will dissolve quicker than regular salt. You may need a tablespoon of liquid to dissolve the salt and allow it to incorporate into the cream cheese frosting.
On the other hand, you can add a teaspoon of lemon extract to the sweetness of the cream cheese frosting.
How To Store Cream Cheese Frosting
The great thing about this keto cream cheese frosting is that it can be made in advance. Once you have gathered and measured your ingredients, this keto cream cheese comes together in 5 minutes.
You can prepare and store your cream cheese for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. However, you must let your keto cream cheese frosting come to room temperature, so it is easier to pipe and frost your cake.
Can I Freeze Cream Cheese Frosting?
Of course, you can freeze cream cheese frosting. Simply place the cream cheese frosting into a resealable ziplock bag and press all of the air out of the bag.
Once you are ready to use your cream cheese frosting, thaw it in the fridge overnight. Let the cream cheese frosting come to room temperature, then place it into a stand mixer’s bowl and beat it for 1-2 minutes. This will prevent your cream cheese frosting from having a weird texture.
Keto Sugar-Free Cream Cheese FrostingCourse: Christmas Recipes, Dessert, Gluten-Free, KetoDifficulty: Easy
Just because you are on the keto diet doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy cream cheese frosting. Use this low-carb cream cheese to frost your carrot cakes and so much more.
8 oz. room temperature cream cheese
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 1/2-2 cups sugar-free swerve powdered sugar substitute
- Place the room temperature cream cheese and butter into a stand mixer’s bowl and beat it on medium for 1-2 minutes until combined.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon extract and blend to combine.
- Add the remaining 1/2-1 cup of powdered sugar depending on your desired taste and beat it for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Use your cream cheese frosting immediately or store it in the refrigerator.
- NUTRITION: Calories: 102 | Carbohydrates: 0.6g | Fiber: 0| Protein: 1.5g | Fat:10.4g | Saturated Fat: 6.6g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 56mg | Potassium: 25mg | Sugar: 0.1g | Vitamin D: 0mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 0mg
- NUTRITIONAL INFO DISCLAIMER: The nutritional values presented above are only estimates. I don’t have a medical background, nor am I a registered dietitian or certified nutritionist. Therefore, nutritional information shown on foodandmoodcreations.com should only be used as a general guideline.